Location: Baba Khadag Singh Marg, Near Connaught Place (in
Gurdwara Bangla Sahib, the biggest gurudwara in Delhi was at one
time the bungalow of Raja Jai Singh Amber of Jaipur. In 1664, the
eighth Sikh Guru Harkishan Dev resided here during his visit to
Delhi. The Samovar situated in the compound is believed to be
blessed by the guru and hence, it is held sacred by the sikhs. The
gurudwara also has an art gallery and a hospital is situated in the
One of the most auspicious religious places for Sikhs, Gurudwara
Bangla Sahib is located along Baba Khadag Singh Marg in Central
This Gurdwara is associated with the Eighth Guru, Shri Guru
Harkishan Sahib Ji. Guru Sahib was summoned by the Mughal Emperor,
Aurangzeb, on the complaint of his elder brother, Ram Rai. After
first refusing to come to Delhi, the young Guru decided on the visit
when Raja Jai Singh offered to take care of his security.
The legend has it that the Guru blessed the water of a pond
situated nearby as it received the virtues of curing people
suffering from dreaded diseases like cholera and small pox. The tank
exists even today, continues to be worshipped by the Sikhs. Also
located within Gurudwara premises, is a magnificent museum-Baba
Baghel Sing Museum.
On reaching Delhi, the Guru stayed at the bungalow of Raja Jai
Singh, the present site of the Gurdwara. However, he steadfastly
refused to meet Aurangzeb. During this time, a cholera and smallpox
epidemic swept Delhi. Without heed to his health, Guru Harkrishen
went about serving the poor and the needy. As if he took over the
sickness of the people of Delhi on himself, he contracted smallpox
and breathed his last in March, 1664.
Hindus and Sikhs pay their respect to the memory of Guru
Harkrishan, nominated as successor by the seventh Guru, Sri Har Rai.
He passed away on October 6, 1661 A.D. When only a little over five
year old, he had been tried and tested as a perfect fearless and
fully illuminated soul.
About Gurudwara Management Committee
Gurudwara Management Committee runs a hospital in the basement of
the Gurudwara building. Besides, the Khalsa Girls School is located
in the adjoining building. A tank 225 x 235 ft. with 18 ft. wide
Parikarma and 12 ft wide varandah along its three sides has been
constructed entirely with people's contribution and voluntary
The Art Gallery
The Art Gallery located in the basement of the Gurdwara is also
very popular with visitors. They evince keen interest in the
paintings depicting historical events connected with Sikh history.
It is named after the Sikh General Sardar Bhagel Singh who
supervised the construction of nine Sikh shrines in Delhi in 1783
during the time of Shah Alam II.